From the time you were small, you were probably encouraged to make and keep regular appointments with your family dentist. Yet sometimes, you have to seek treatment outside of your regular dental provider, such as going to a periodontist.
A periodontist is a dentist who has trained for additional years to learn more about dealing with problems related to the soft tissues (e.g., gums, connective tissues) of the mouth. Although you can be referred by a dentist to a periodontist, you can also contact your preferred periodontist in Leesburg, VA on your own.
Signs You May Need a Periodontist
The soft tissues in your mouth are like all the other tissues in your body: susceptible to issues like infections and decay. In fact, one of the most common reasons people head to the periodontist is to deal with gum disease, a progressive condition that can lead to serious health concerns like increased risk of oral cancers, high blood pressure and even stroke.
Although gum disease can be asymptomatic, it often includes telltale signs. If you recognize any of these issues, you should definitely consider getting on a periodontist’s schedule:
· Bleeding gums. This does not mean gums that bleed a little when you floss and then stop bleeding almost immediately. Gum disease related gum bleeding continues, and may start on its own, such as when you are eating, drinking or just talking.
· Sore, red gums. Have you noticed that your gums are redder or a little more tender than they used to be? One cause could be an infection fostered by the build-up of bacteria in the spaces between the teeth and gums.
· Bad breath. This is one symptom that can be embarrassing. Constantly smelly breath despite regular brushing, chewing sugar-free gum, eating sugar-free mints and flossing can indicate the presence of bacteria breeding deep in the periodontal pockets.
· Loose teeth. Are some of your teeth beginning to loosen or shift? This is a warning that you need assistance promptly to avoid permanent natural tooth loss.
· Teeth that are falling out. Perhaps the most obvious concern, this should not be ignored, and requires an immediate call to the periodontist.
Once under the care of a trusted periodontist in Leesburg, VA, like Dr. Kharmouche at Nova Perio Specialists, you can gain peace of mind and improved wellbeing.
Be aware of what happens in your mouth, and how it can affect your whole body. One call to a periodontist may make all the difference for your future health.
Currently rated by 1 people