Do you suffer from dental anxiety? You are not alone. We work with many patients who experience some form of dental fear. Stress is often caused by bad past experiences or fear of dental tools, like needles or drills. Fortunately, even the most anxious patient can still get the care you need, with the help of an experienced, compassionate periodontist in Leesburg, VA, and a few helpful hints.
5 Way to Calm Dental Fears
1. Communicate with your periodontist and the staff. If you have a fear of dentistry, let someone know so that we can take precautions to make you more comfortable. Do not suffer in silence.
2. Consider sedation dentistry to alleviate anxiety. Our practice offers oral sedatives and IV conscious relaxation to allow our patients to virtually sleep through their procedures.
3. Let your periodontist give you all of your treatment options. If you need gum surgery, for example, we offer a laser gum surgery which is performed without scalpels or sutures. By discussing all of the variables, you may find that there is a treatment that is a better fit for you.
4. Create hand signals with your periodontist so you can let your doctor know if you are uncomfortable or need a break. Something as simple as knowing that you have some control over the process can help you feel less anxious.
5. Bring an ipod and headphones with you. Your favorite music will not only make you feel more comfortable; it will block out any sounds associated with a procedure.
For more information about dental anxiety or to find out if you are a good candidate for sedation dentistry, contact our periodontist in Leesburg, VA. Schedule a one-on-one consultation with Dr. Jean-Claude Kharmouche and let us help you get on the path to a healthier smile.
Currently rated by 0 people