Does your bite feel off? You may need an occlusal adjustment. If you are like most people, you may have never heard of the term. It refers to a method of adjusting how your teeth come together when you close your mouth. Anyone who has had a crown or filling placed remembers the awkwardness of biting down when the restoration was still higher than the other teeth. Your periodontist probably had you bite down on Mylar paper to mark the high points and then filed the problem teeth down until you could bite comfortably again.
Why This Alignment Adjustment is Critical:
- If your teeth do not align properly, this can create oral health problems in the future, such as temporomandibular joint disorder (TMD), broken teeth, gum recession, and bruxism in Leesburg, VA.
- It may be necessary to change the amount of force you use to chew. When teeth are misaligned, we use more pressure than we need, causing damage to the joints. However, when the pressure is alleviated through occlusal adjustment, drastic improvements in health can be realized.
The Advantages of an Occlusal Adjustment:
- Prevents jaw pain that results from an uncomfortable bite
- Can stop bruxism (teeth grinding)
- Improves joint problems
- Will decrease the amount of force used to eat on a daily basis
- Enhances the appearance of your teeth
The long-term benefits of comfort and health that result from an occlusal adjustment are numerous. Your periodontist may also make changes to your bite through the use of dental restorations, orthodontics, or appliances, like a night guard. A night guard is worn while you sleep to prevent damage associated with bruxism in Leesburg, VA.
If you feel discomfort when you bring your teeth together, do not hesitate to call our office. Dr. Jean-Claude Kharmouche can evaluate your bite and determine whether an occlusal adjustment is the treatment you need to help you feel better.
Currently rated by 0 people
Comments are closed for this post, but if you have spotted an error or have additional info that you think should be in this post, feel free to contact us.