Dental implants are the most aesthetically pleasing and natural feeling option for replacing damaged or missing teeth. The procedure itself is not painful because it is performed with a personalized sedation approach to completely numb the mouth and ease your anxiety. After dental implantation surgery, the numbness will subside, and mild pain may be felt. Rarely serious pain occurs, and this can be a sign of a possible infection.
If you are in the stages of receiving dental implants in Leesburg, VA it is important to note, the recovery is not nearly as painful as you might anticipate. Depending on the specific implant placement, a subtle soreness can be felt in the jawline, chin, or cheeks. Overall, patients report that the results are well worth undergoing the process and regaining their confidence!
How long will my Dental Implant Discomfort Last?
On average, a patient may feel discomfort in the treated area for about ten days. After receiving dental implants, expect some swelling which should decrease around three days after the procedure. Depending on the complexity of your personalized treatment, your doctor may prescribe painkillers to reduce discomfort and antibiotics to avoid infection.
Pre-Procedure Pain Management Options
- Discuss sedation options with your provider.
- If you plan to receive oral surgery under general anesthesia, then you will have to fast in the hours leading up to the surgery.
- Schedule down-time for resting and healing.
- Purchase soft foods and over-the-counter pain medication.
Post-Procedure Pain Management Options
- Closely follow instructions from your provider.
- Regular rinsing with warm saltwater.
- Avoiding spicy, sharp foods.
- Gently brushing near implant sites.
- Use cold compresses as directed.
- Avoid exercise.
Ready to Explore your Dental Implant Options?
Are you considering or preparing for dental implants in the greater Leesburg, VA region? Dr. Jean-Claude Kharmouche is an experienced periodontist who specializes in dental implant procedures. Learn more about the options for your unique dental situation by contacting NOVA Perio Specialists at (571) 918-9634.
Currently rated by 0 people